Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mini Quilts: Mug Rugs



I've always been a huge fan of mug rugs. They're tiny, fast, and useful. It has only been recently that I've begun to really think of them as mini quilts though. I can put some intense piecing and quilting into a 5" x 8" mug rug - so why not recognize it as something more than a coaster?

I'm rambling.

What I'm trying to say here is that I made a mug rug recently. But I haven't been able to bring myself to use it yet. Actually I considered giving it away - I have the intention of making a mug rug soon for a friend - but this one isn't quite perfect enough. 


I love this little guy though. Scraps of some favorite fabrics, bound in the most perfect orange fabric (my last bit of it!)


Then there's the back. The back!! I wanted to test out my skills after long arm class, but the mug rug top didn't want fancy quilting... so I quilted the back separately. These are the best flowers I've ever made! Now I need to work on getting some consistent swirls! 

All this rambling, for a sweet little mug rug. I love it though, that's what matters. 

2 comments:

  1. What do you mean ' not perfect enough'!! It's a mini work of art- I'm sure your friend would love it. We quilters seem to only see our mistakes. Your FMQ on the back is mini- marvellous too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really loving your work I ran into your blog randomly searching today. What a great bonus in my day! www.openbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete